Friday, April 15, 2005

What would YOU do with a record-setting home run ball?

So the husband and I watched a movie premiere last night for Up For Grabs, a movie about the struggle between two fuckwits who fought over who caught Barry Bonds' 73rd homerun back in 2001.

While I usually avoid baseball like the plague (though I'm surprisingly knowledgable about baseball in general), the movie was done pretty well. The scandal was pretty well publicized, so I'm not going to talk about it (and if you don't, it's more of a reason to watch the movie). Everyone gets portrayed in a complex manner, and at its heart, the movie is about what greed can do to people. You start realizing how sleazy everyone who's intimately involved in this lawsuit is throughout the movie, while the rest of the world wonders what the big deal's about.

I personally found the whole struggle distasteful since it happened one month after 9-11, so to see the motivations behind the lawsuit and the extreme nearsightedness of the guy who filed the lawsuit really made me feel glad that this guy got what he deserved. You don't really feel sorry for anyone, but it just really makes you wonder how people can obsess over something that really wasn't worth obsessing over.

2 comments:

:: jozjozjoz :: said...

I feel like I saw this movie, but I realized it's just that I saw a movie done about the same subject at some film festival about 2 years ago.

Efren said...

you probably did see it before, apparently it won the award at the LA film festival last year (i think)