Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Nothing new...at least with me, anyway

Due to popular demand (hi joz :P), here's an update on what's going on with me...

--My poor husband threw out his back while doing kickboxing last night, and he's hobbling around. According to him, he did a kick, felt a twinge in his back, and couldn't move halfway through the class.

Ouch. I was supposed to work out afterwards, but thankfully the class at my gym (UCSF's Milberry Union, probably one of the better clubs in SF) got cancelled so I took him home straight away (after getting him some Hawaiian food at Ono over on Sloat by SF State, of course)

We went to see a doctor this afternoon who thinks he may have either accidentally compressed a disk in his spine or gotten sciatica. In his confusion at the office, he said, "yeah, I hurt my sciatic nerve. Let me show you..."

The poor receptionist looked at him in horror as I said, "Honey, I'm a medical transcriptionist. I know where it is. You don't need to show me."

"Oh."

So now he's hopped up on Vicodin, Flexeril and ibuprofen and forced to lie down on his back for at least the next 3 days. It's just as well, since he's in so much pain that he can't even bend down to put his shoes on (guess who had to do that! :P).

Poor thing--I guess it's a good reminder for me to be careful when working out--I usually err on the side of caution and don't push myself when I don't need to, and I definitely stop when I feel that something's not going right. My husband has a bad habit of pushing himself a bit too hard at times when he exercises, but with a back injury like this, it can happen at any time for no reason, so I know that's not the issue here.

--I'm kicking ass in my Bio class. I guess that's not much of a surprise, but it does help that I'm extremely underemployed so I have a lot of time to actually study. It also helps that my teacher is at least queer-friendly, if not a dyke herself.

She outed me the day I left to go down to LA. She was explaining some chemistry concepts and talking about attraction between ions and said, "Suppose Efren and I are attracted to each other and holding hands..."

She stops at that point, looks at me, and says, "Well, maybe that's not such a good example."

Everyone in my lab starts laughing in lecture, and I'm blushing. Not that I really care all that much to be outed, but geez.

--I'm still deciding whether I want to apply for pharmacy or medical school, though I'm about 98% sure I'll apply for pharmacy just because it seems so much more suited with what I want to do with my life. Guess all those years transcribing medical exams is actually coming in handy.

--I've been taking a hip hop class at my gym for the past few months (little known fact: I've been taking hip hop for about 10+ years, but you will never get me to perform any moves for you, even if I'm stinkin' drunk or high) and it's interesting to watch the people in the class (practically all women, and who have had really no experience with hip hop outside from the class and/or what their kids listen to on the radio). If anything, they're frickin' way too serious about the class. For me, dance has always been more about having fun and enjoying myself, not being self-conscious if my booty shaking or my isolations are correct (and I know they're not). The ones who look the best are the ones who are just taking it for fun and really enjoying themselves--and it shows. I find it funny to watch these people practice their moves over and over, while I pretty much forget it as soon as the hour is up (except for my kinetic/bodily memory, anyway). If it were something that demanded more technical expertise, like a more advanced hip hop class, or even the Lindy Hop or other dance classes the gym offers, I can understand the need to practice. But beginning hip hop, frankly, isn't all that difficult. Once I remind people to just have fun, they look so much better.

--I need to hang out with more gay guys. That's pretty ironic considering that most of the time I hang out with other folk, straight men, queer and straight women, etc., because most of the time, most gay men piss me off, just because of their weird politics or the sexual tension that seems to happen every time I meet another gay man (unless I nip it in the bud immediately by talking about the husband--or unless I want to encourage that tension :). There's a certain energy that comes across from other gay men that I don't get at all with other people, and considering I've been sequestering myself from it for a while, I guess I need to get back into the swing of things.

So that's all in my life. If there are any cute gay men who want to hang out with me, e-mail me. :)

1 comment:

:: jozjozjoz :: said...

Thanks for the update, Efi.

We have an Ono BBQ about a mile away. I had it for dinner on Tuesday night. Yummm!