Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Recent goings-on!

Let's see, in no particular order:

o Went to a friend's wedding (here's the groom's blog and here's the bride's blog). One of the most Filipino and yet one of the most fabulously subversive weddings I've ever been to. They tweaked so many of the elements and have proven how a straight wedding can really be seen as a true partnership between a man and a woman instead of traditional weddings that make the wife too much like a piece of property. The piece de resistance was watching Michelle do kali in her wedding gown, which I thought was just fucking amazing. Makes me want to find the time to really learn kali!

o Husband's slowly recovering from his recent back injury, and I finally went to PT because I've had some chronic shoulder soreness (which ended up just being a really chronic strain of the acromioclavicular joint). I've had to drastically reduce my weights while working out while I focus on form, and I'm more sore because of that more than anything. Even after only two weeks of doing my PT exercises, the joint has already started to loosen up and I can actually move my arms fine without feeling the intense pain I did before.

o Because the husband hurt his back, we had to cancel our annual Hawai'i trip (which is fine, because I'm flat broke anyway). Considering I finally got that part-time transcription job I was hoping for at St. Mary's Hospital (after two weeks of sweating out to make sure all my references and the damn physical tests panned out), I'll finally have some money to pay all my late bills and hopefully save some for other things.

o Had my midterm in my biology class, and I'm almost positive I got at least an A-, if not a flat out A. I'm really excited, though next semester I plan on taking two classes, second semester bio and first semester of organic chemistry, then apply for UCSF Pharm over the summer of '06, while taking the final 3 classes (second semester o-chem, human phys and speech :P during the summer and fall '06). I've never been so excited to take science classes, and it's just weird how easily it's been coming to me, especially since taking bio and chem classes in college seemed so much harder!

o During my friends' wedding reception, I ran into some former colleagues of mine when I taught at SFSU's Asian American Studies department, and told them that I left the Ph.D. program at UCSF and planning on hoping to go back there for pharmacy. They were pretty supportive, which is always a great sign.

o I'm finally donating my old iMac (along with some other stuff, like an old printer, and an old DSL modem and wireless router) to a friend's nonprofit for tenants' rights here in SF. I had a love-hate relationship with the thing, even though I still have a soft spot for Macs, even though I really do love my tablet.

o In the process of cleaning up said iMac, I ran into some old pictures that I had locked away, and I can now appreciate how far I've come in working out and taking better care of myself while still maintaining all the parts of me that I've always liked the most (god-DAMN, I have a nice ass! :)

o I also ran into some old pics of my mom that I had also stored away. Made me think about the relationship I had with my mom, and the really intense emotions we always had for each other. At the same time, I see how expectations and locking up security solely in materials really, well, screwed my mom up in terms of her worldview on things. My mom had a lot of things, but she was so paranoid about losing them that she never really left the house all that much in the last few years of her life. Maybe because of that, I've never been very good in finances, though I'm really trying now to get better at it.

o I had a conversation with a good friend of mine who's now in a similar situation like mine in NYC and she made an interesting point. We had spent the first part of our lives trying to take care of other people while forgetting about our own needs. Now, we're both learning how to take care of ourselves and not feel guilty about putting ourselves first. She had NO idea how true that was. In our own ways, we're trying to take care of ourselves and we're both realizing how freeing that is. It's weird to actually do all the things I'm doing now and not feel any twinges of guilt at all.

Current life in a nutshell. :)

No comments: