Tuesday, October 04, 2005

What cell phone should I get?

Well, I'm probably going to switch cell phone carriers soon since I've been on T-Mobile, and while it's not bad, it isn't necessarily all that great either. I've also had their Sidekick in its various guises for the past couple of years. The loving husband decided to switch over to Cingular, primarily since T-Mobile rides off of Cingular anyway for coverage here in San Francisco.

So I'm trying to decide between saving money now or waiting a couple months to switch over to Cingular and get either the Audiovox SMT5600 since it's a smart phone and one of my girlfriends, MusicChyck, loves hers, or just dish out the money to get the Treo 650 or 700 when it comes out later. Since I'm planning on going to either pharmacy or medical school, having the Treo makes more sense since it'd be easier to reference stuff.

Decisions, decisions...

4 comments:

:: jozjozjoz :: said...

What are you going to do without your sidekick?!?!?!

EJ Flavors said...

same thing joz said....i had the sprint pcs for 5 years, and just switched to the sidekick this year and i'm lovin' it. i'd recommend the sprintpcs because they've got better coverage than the t-mobile does, but i'm just loving my sidekick and it beats any coverage issues i have with the t-mobile.

Efren said...

Well, that's the problem here in SF--because SF has such a crazy geography and people are very NIMBY out here when it comes to installing the towers needed to get better coverage, that wireless networks that work great anywhere else (Verizon, Sprint, etc.) suck out here.

The Sidekick is a neat little toy, and it really came in handy when I was doing my ED work, but I'm getting tired of its size and the connection issues are irritating. The call quality really went downhill with the Sidekick 2, especially since people have a hard time hearing me when I use the Sidekick itself as the mouthpiece as opposed to a handset, something that I never had a problem with when I had the 1st color Sidekick. On the plus side, I love the web interface and the size of the screen, and the video games are great, but it can't do video, can't zoom with the camera, etc.

I still have a couple of months before I make a decision, and since I'm now out of contract with T-Mobile, I can take my time for the time being.

:: jozjozjoz :: said...

Blah blah blah... where's an update?!?!