Sunday, January 08, 2006

Lestat--don't bother

So I went to see Lestat with the husband earlier tonight, and I tried to go in with an open mind. After the entire musical, probably the worst thing that I can say about this is that I didn't really care about it at all. I didn't feel any emotion towards the musical in general, the characters, the music. I didn't feel anything.

For a musical (or for anything, for that matter), that's probably the worst thing you can feel. From the moment I saw the set, I thought, "This looks way too much like Devil May Cry. Lestat looks like a bad version of Dante, sans ultra-cool demeanor (and guns). Sequences to signify fear or strong emotion look like first draft FMVs from Devil May Cry. I had the impression that Lestat was supposed to be this sensual character, and he came across as this guy to afraid to show his emotions towards anyone, and more like a spoiled brat who can only get his way when he forces people into it. And even then, I didn't care enough about him, nor did the plot make me want to care. The poorly written lyrics and bombastic music reminded me of the worst of Andrew Lloyd Webber (and why I can't stand him at all). The only compelling character was Claudia, a child vampire who has the best songs, but even then she looks way too much like the girl from the Bad Seed, but not cold or calculating enough to make me want to really like her.

Overall, it was very disappointing. Anything artistic should leave some sort of impression; even if it's so horrible that you can't stop thinking about how they got away with it. Lestat, in this sense, does the unthinkable: by making something so asinine and banal that you forget it immediately after. And after writing this, that's probably what I'm going to do.

2 comments:

Rona Fernandez said...

That's a bummer. I hope you got free tix at least. Oh yeah, I am IN LOVE with brokeback mountain. i think I was a gay man in a past life. I even bought the soundtrack! ;-)

Efren said...

Yeah, we didn't have to pay for Lestat (thank god). Brokeback Mountain was great, but was just a little too slow-paced for me.