Saturday, May 20, 2006

Cal's "Naked Guy" kills himself...

Was just reading this article about how the infamous Cal Naked Guy killed himself in prison yesterday.

I guess it's really sad, but then considering how cold Berkeley gets, it seemed more sense for him to be naked near my school (Riverside is only 30 minutes away from Palm Springs and over 90 degrees most of the year). Was he doing the whole naked thing just to get attention? He didn't seem to be much of a real nudist at the time...

Now I'm actually curious to see what he was doing after he got kicked out of Cal, especially since he had a history of "assaultive behavior".

2 comments:

Rona Fernandez said...

hey Efren--I posted something about Andrew too. I actually lived with him in a co-op in Berkeley for a while. He was definitely a 'real nudist--even went to nudist camps, etc. since he was such a visible proponet of nudism. I think he was their poster boy of sorts, on the real. An article I read about his death implies that his mental illness had to do with drugs he took in college, which knowing how we all partied back then wouldn't surprise me. Still very sad.

Efren said...

Cool, thanks for mentioning that, Rona!

I've been reading stuff about it in the SJ Merc about him, and how apparently he's always had a history of mental illness. Perhaps the drugs enhanced the illness, or maybe they're just being used as an excuse (probably the latter, IMO). Either way, I remember thinking how conservative Cal had gotten when I was in college as a result of that, not that UCR was all that liberal to begin with, but it seemed odd that Cal specifically did that just because of him.

I guess that was the funny thing about being at UCR--I ran around with a crowd that just basically did alcohol if anything. Considering how all my friends turned out, maybe some drugs would've helped them loosen up a bit. :)