Thursday, June 29, 2006

What a weird 24 hours it's been...

So I met two friends from junior high and elementary school (refer to my post below), and I had a surprisingly good time given my apprehension prior to meeting them. As I suspected, the friend who I came out to was dealing with his own issues about being gay and so didn't know how to respond when I had come out to him 15 years ago. So it wasn't surprising when he did come out to me last night.

What was a surprise was meeting my other friend who ended up coming out as a lesbian, who happens to be married, but only because her husband doesn't want to divorce her, even though she said that she would understand if he did. I kinda figured that she was a dyke, but considering she looked a lot more femme than I was expecting, it was a trip to see someone else come out. It also made me realize that out of the 10 or so Filipinos I was somewhat close to when I was in elementary and junior high, I know that at least half of us are queer.

It also made me realize how much I had tried to distance myself from the horrible time I had in elementary and junior high and being constantly picked on for being everything everyone else wasn't: working class, colored, a sissy boy, etc., and how painful it was to really talk about those years. My friend said that the only way to really get over it was to own it and see how it shaped us into the fabulous queers we are today.

I know he's right, but I guess it's another thing I have to accept that's going to take some time to deal with. Aside from hanging out with those two and a couple of other outcasts, I don't have a lot of fond memories of Catholic school at all.

At least now that I know that all 3 of us are queer and that we're all in the area, we're hoping we can hang out more often. It'd be a nice way to re-establish and remember the good times I had growing up.

1 comment:

Bernie said...

This past week, an old high school classmate of mine found my blog. We've not seen or spoken probably since graduation, now almost (egads!) 30 years ago. I too have distanced myself from those years and have never attended a reunion. But he's Dean of Students at a college, in charge of minority and LGBT student affairs, so he may be more open-minded than I give anyone back home credit for.