Monday, July 31, 2006

Ain't it the truth!

Here's an article about a letter written by a number of LGBT activists saying that the LGBT rights movement is too focused on marriage.

It's one of the things that's really bugged me about the whole marriage thing--while I think it's great that people are fighting for LGBT marriage rights, it's almost akin to putting all your eggs in one basket--and if we lose, we could lose a lot more than people bargained for, especially since even in California queers aren't protected from such basic rights as workplace and housing discrimination, and only recently did the domestic partnership laws change so that we have more rights that are akin to marriage, but are so badly written that there's still no real consensus on what rights those of us in DP contracts already actually have. There's so much that's tied into LGBT rights, particularly women's issues, POC issues, etc., and it's too much of an uncalculated risk for those trying to push an agenda on the rest of us.

It also pushes on those of us who aren't in monogamous relationships even more against the margins, and reinforces the belief that the only relationship that should be sanctioned are the monogamous ones.

I think that's one of the reasons why I like being gay/queer/whatever--we're able to look at the different ways sexuality reinforces arbitrary differences and see how those differences fuck us up in so many ways--in regards to gender, sex, race, class, religion, etc. For me, coming out of the closet opened up worlds of opportunity that many straight people have a hard time envisioning. On the one hand, it's made me jaded (though has helped me realize what I'm truly attracted to and aroused by), but on the other hand, I'm able to appreciate how people express their sexualities without being personally threatened by them.

As one of my friends said, "I didn't fight for gay rights just to get married!"

Ok, enough ranting for one day...

1 comment:

john Gray said...

I agree with your blog. even though I am probably going to go through with a civil ceremony next year with my partner.


there is a push to marginize singe gay and straight people in society