Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!

Just posting some random thoughts before I crash for the night.

I realized that this is the first year in a long time where I wasn't feeling nostalgic and/or bitter that the year was over. I'm starting to realize that the past is something to be learned from, that can't really be changed, and that is something to appreciate but not fuss over.

That being said, it's been paradoxically an uneventful year (in terms of "big news") and a very eventful year (in terms of small epiphanies and my own development). I think I've learned more about myself and where I am this year than I have in a long time--and where I've been having to really take stock in who I am as an individual, and not as a member of something. In that respect, it's been hard because I've been struggling with my own individuality and my own group identities (from such grand things as my ethnic and sexual identities, to things such as my friends and the relationship with the husband), and realizing that who I am transcends whatever groups I belong to.

I guess it all boils down to that, at the end of the day, I'm left with me. And I need to embrace it.

So I guess that's why I'm going to do a few New Year's resolutions, though they're a bit more physical than spiritual/ethereal. I've realized that I'm too much in my head, and that I need to pay attention to my body. So here goes:

After seeing how my girlfriend Allie has lost about 30 pounds last year, I'm going to lose at least the same amount this year. I need to do some research and talk to my doctor to see what options will be personally safe.

I'll be completing both the Honolulu Marathon and the Waikiki Rough Water Swim this year. I want to do something physical--and I need the frickin' vacations!

To that end, I hope to finish my pharmacy school applications before the Rough Water Swim. My choices (in order of preference): UCSF, UH-Hilo, UCSD, UOP and Touro (in Vallejo).

So those are my resolutions--aside from the most important one--to be present, to be happy, and to be myself.

Happy New Year everyone!

1 comment:

Yoshi said...

Happy New Year, Efi!

Was great to see you guys the other night.