Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Wish me luck tomorrow!

So I'm taking an anatomy class right now and I have my first major exam tomorrow morning (a lab practical identifying bones and muscles), and it's a bit of a turning point for me.

About 15 years ago (good Lord, has it been THAT long?!), I was enrolled in UC Riverside's Biomedical Sciences program, which at the time was a highly structured, highly competitive premed program where 15 applicants (out of 400) would start their 1st year of medical school in conjunction with UCLA during their 4th year of college at UCR.

At the time, I was going through a lot of shit--dealing with more personal issues, the major ones being religion and sexuality, and my growing political consciousness, and the realization that I really didn't care about science at the time. It also didn't help that the lab portion of the anatomy class was cat dissections, and I didn't realize that I was extremely allergic to cats until after I took the class.

Subsequently, I got a D, and because of that (along with a C in organic chemistry and a B in physics), I dropped out of the program, knowing that there was no way in hell that I'd make it into the 4th year.

Looking back, it's now an absolute shock to me that I was able to complete my degree in chemistry along with ethnic studies in 4 years, and I have no idea how the hell I did it.

Fifteen years later, I've resolved most of those issues, and taking these classes again (anatomy, organic chemistry, bio, etc.) is actually very enjoyable to me. I'm really interested in the material and I'm learning a lot. I'm in a totally different space emotionally and mentally, and I can focus on getting my shit done.

And did I mention that I have the highest grade in the class coming into this practical?

Anyway, wish me luck tomorrow. Even though I've been studying my ass off the past couple weeks for this (and really needed the minitrip to LA last weekend), it wouldn't help to have a few good wishes coming into this.

And is it strange to be excited about looking at cadaver prosections next week?

Update (4:49 PM, 2/21/07): The exam was actually a lot easier than I expected. I got everything right until the last question, when I got confused about a hole in the temporal bone and totally named it wrong. Argh! I know I got at least 2 others wrong, but I got all the extra credit right, so hopefully I'll be over 100%. Yippee!

5 comments:

:: jozjozjoz :: said...

Nerd!

Efren said...

:P

Wuss!

:: jozjozjoz :: said...

Double nerd!

Efren said...

Double wuss! Nyaah! Nyaah! Nyaah!

:: jozjozjoz :: said...

Nerd! Nerd! Nerd!

(You had to see that coming! I think we're done now.)