Sunday, March 18, 2007

Thoughts on a Sunday (when I should be studying...)

o Just saw two movies from the San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival this weekend, the singalong Flower Drum Song, and King and the Clown.

o I think I can now appreciate Flower Drum Song now for what it represents in terms of Asian American history and culture, even though it's not a really good musical for Rogers and Hammerstein. Kinda funny how much I've mellowed out from my old pseudo-militant days in college and how much I can really appreciate things for what they are, and not looking at them through the know-it-all eyes of a 20-something. It also helps that James Shigeta was really hot in the late 50s and early 60s. Here he is in Flower Drum Song and here he is in the Crimson Flower, which featured the first ever interracial kiss between an Asian man and a white woman in American movies.

o King and the Clown (click here for a synopsis) was an incredibly well done movie, and the subtitles were really well done (a lot of it done as Shakespearean-style English). Considering how restrained the movie was (except for the last few minutes where it really got into typical Korean soap opera drama) and how nuanced the homosexuality was (and maybe the first-ever kiss between two men in Korean cinema?), it pulled at me a lot more than I was expecting. I found the king pretty attractive too...

o While I was waiting in line for King and the Clown, a guy was getting Asians to sign petitions as part of Asian Equality , a group that's part of Organization of Chinese Americans. When I mentioned to the guy that the husband and I were on their website, he started telling me that I was "a hero" and that he liked "my work." After the conversation, I thought, "What work have I done?" Compared to the work that a lot of my other activist friends have done on a daily basis, like Rona Fernandez and Trinity Ordona, I feel more like a bystander. I try to show my support and activism in different ways, and still feeling burned after the fiasco of FTFA, I feel like that my heart's more in doing general Asian American and gay stuff, and not necessarily gay Asian American stuff. I guess I'm really frustrated about what little activism there is among queer Asian American men, and how I'm tired of being the guy who always seems to put the torch out here in SF. Maybe it's also my own preference to stay on the sidelines, to keep doing my work, but always maintaining a sense of separateness to keep myself in check.

o I've also been trying to rediscover parts of myself that, for one reason or another, I realized I've ignored. Most of it is sexual--and if you're really that curious, send me an e-mail. :P

2 comments:

:: jozjozjoz :: said...

I wanted to see the King & Clown but never made it to a screening. Looked interesting and well made.

Two things:
1) Did you ever get your birthday present from us?

2) What do you think of this?
http://mikeabundo.com/2007/03/22/filipina-youtube-star-quits-nursing/

Efren said...

Nope, didn't get the present yet---argh!