Monday, August 06, 2007

Brain. Imploding. Must stop.

So I'm in the midst of taking this 4 week intensive course in 2nd semester organic chemistry, which means my weekends have been fucked. I'm also really exhausted from a lack of sleep since I basically get no real days off until August 25, since I have my final exam on August 22, and the PCAT on August 25.

I've been taking this course over at New College, over at their Science Institute, where all the major 18-week science courses (general chem, organic chem, physics, bio, microbio, and anatomy and physiology) are condensed into neat 4 week blocks. I was a bit hesitant because I didn't know what to expect and how the coursework would be.

Midway through the course, I think it's the best decision I've ever made. I'm used to o-chem being such a horribly cutthroat and overall bad experience because it's a typical weeder course. There's a sense of camaraderie since we all know that we're there to pass the course, and it won't do us any good to be rude to anybody in the class. I'm used to being a lone duck while taking these courses, so it's pretty cool to feel like there's a sense of people really wanting to help each other out.

It also helps that the instructor is really hot. Hot Latino guy, pretty boy, but very easy on the eyes, and a good professor. And I think I scored a perfect on the first midterm, so hopefully I can get an A+ in the class (compared to the C I got the first time around back in 1993 *sigh*)

It's also interesting to see the decidedly leftist political bent of the course--what with the professor talking about the evils of plastics, and that we're making biodiesel fuel in lab, all the while enjoying all the Bush-bashing that's been taking place. I've never seen so much politics in a science course, so I have to admit I'm really enjoying it.

The main shock and talk of the session is a major scandal that's been evolving at the school, since we got word the Monday after classes started that New College was in danger of losing their accreditation because of a lack of transparency and accountability for leadership and financial issues. Of course, most of us were shitting bricks, but after we got word that the earliest accreditation would be revoked (if it got to that stage) was October 2008, we were all safe. The president of the school, who's been at the center of the controversy, just tendered his resignation, so that should be a sign of good faith and that New College will be able to keep its accreditation.

Overall, though, I wish I had known about this sooner. I'm probably going to take microbiology through New College, even though it means schlepping my ass to Hayward for four weekends, but I'd rather have the inconvenience of that instead of 18 weeks of driving back and forth and having to rearrange my work schedule again, plus taking an online psych class so I can minimize the amount of time I have to commute to take classes.

Then I'm free from coursework until I get accepted for pharmacy school.

Ok, back to being a hermit. :)

2 comments:

AiYahh said...

good luck in your slacker hippy college

i'm expect you to get an "A"


no pressure

:)

:: jozjozjoz :: said...

I have higher standards than Howie.

A+!


No plus, no count!

:P