Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The quest for bibingka

So one of the dishes that my mom knew how to make well (she was a better baker than a cook) was bibingka, or a dessert made from sweet rice flour. When my mom was still alive, she made it quite often, but trying to get the recipe out of her was almost impossible. She had given me a recipe, but it had turned out so horribly that I figured she just did everything by hand and eyeballed the ingredients. I figured that since she passed away back in '03 that I wouldn't be able to figure out how to make it.

Last week, though, my coworker shared me her bibingka recipe, and surprisingly enough, it was about as close as I could find to how my mom made it. She gave me the recipe and I made it for some friends over the weekend. It was so disgustingly easy to make I couldn't believe that it took me this long to do it.

Anyway, here's the recipe, if you're so inclined--btw, it's definitely high carb and greasy as hell, but definitely worth it.

Bibingka

1 cup glutinous rice flour (My mom used Mochiko, but make sure that the flour is glutinous, otherwise it won't work)

2/3 to 1 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you want it--I made it with 2/3 cup and it wasn't sweet enough)

1 cup cow's or coconut milk (I prefer coconut milk, though cow's milk will work just as well)

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 eggs

pinch salt

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted

Grated coconut

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until incorporated. Place mixture in a greased cookie sheet or baking pan, preferably a wide shallow baking pan to make it more chewy and crispy. Top with coconut. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven until golden brown and center is clean (about 20-30 minutes).

No comments: