Tuesday, November 20, 2007

If you're craving bocayo, but can't get to Pangasinan...

Naia Gelato (http://www.gelaterianaia.com) has two flavors of gelato, coconut milk and molasses. Combine them together, and you have bocayo-flavored gelato.

Bocayo is a chewy candy made by boiling molasses and coconut together. It's one of the few things I remember when my mom took my sister and me back to her home province in the Philippines, Pangasinan, when we were kids. Apparently Pangasinan is the home of bocayo.

My friend who I go out and eat with on a regular basis stopped by, and he was the one who chose the coconut milk and molasses combination. I ate it, and was immediately brought back to when I was 9 and I remember being in my mom's barrio, and eating bocayo back then, along with a host of other good memories.

If you get a chance, check it out, especially since Naia's taken natural yogurt out of their rotation (*&&%)%$@) bastards....)

No comments: