Sunday, November 09, 2008

Calamansi limoncello recipe...

So I'm in the midst of making my calamansi limoncello, and I'm super excited. :)

A few of you guys have asked me to post the recipe, which is so ridiculously easy (given that you can get access to 95% grain alcohol), but is very, um, potent. The cool thing about calamansi is that the peels are so thin that there's no pith, so you can just put the whole peel in without making it bitter, unlike using lemons or even tangerines (I made a tangerine infused vodka but it was too much work to take out the pith, so it ended up being a little bitter--blah). The classic addition after this is to make a sugar syrup, but I'm left with so much calamansi juice that I decided to make the syrup using that.

Part 1:
1 pound (1/2 kg) calamansi or other citrus (if you do use a thick skinned citrus, like lemons, use a vegetable peeler to get the top layer of the peel and don't peel the pith--it's too bitter).
1 liter Everclear (for my peeps in Cali or where you can't get Everclear, use a flavorless drinkable alcohol, like vodka).

Make sure to wash the calamansi well. Use only calamansi that are unblemished as you don't want any nasty stuff in the alcohol (it'll get killed, but it's a pain to take out).

Juice the calamansi--which in most cases, just means peeling a little hole in the fruit, then squeeze the juice out into a separate bowl. Place the peel in the alcohol.

Repeat till all the calamansi is peeled. Freeze the calamansi juice to use for the syrup, or for another use.

Place the alcohol in a cool, dark place, or the fridge.

The alcohol's ready for the next step after about two weeks, or when the peels have sunk to the bottom and have completely lost their color. Stir every few days to mix the peels and alcohol together.

Part 2:
Sugar Syrup:
Leftover calamansi juice (or use 1 cup water)
1 cup sugar (or to taste)

Mix the juice and sugar together, then boil until the sugar is completely dissolved and the syrup is slightly thickened (you want a light syrup, not a caramel!). let the syrup cool.

Strain out the peels from the alcohol and throw out. Mix the syrup with the alcohol.
Wait another two weeks.

That's it. I usually drink it with citrus-flavored soda (like 7Up) or club soda.

I hope my dad doesn't think I'm a total lush...;)

No comments: