Tuesday, December 02, 2014

The breakup post with Professional Job 1

Dear Mr. Professional Job 1:

So I submitted my final, official, final resignation letter to you a few weeks after being asked to reconsider in October. Not that there was much to be gained if I were to stay-as being asked to become manager of where I'm currently working didn't exactly gain enough points for me to seriously consider changing my mind.

It's been a very interesting ride these past 15-odd months since I graduated from pharmacy school and you came to open the door for my first job right out of school. I thought, oh- working 40 hours a week now, that'll give me time to do all the things that I didn't have time to do during school.

And then it didn't happen. What was an average of 40 hours per week ended up with me working 56 hours one week and 24 the next, and being so utterly exhausted and done with people after working 10 out of 11 days that I was a hermit for those 3 day weekends. That didn't exactly do wonders for my social life or dating life which was primarily nonexistent until a couple of weeks ago...but that's another post.

I have learned to become a pharmacist. A damn good pharmacist. And apparently I also become a very good manager when I got thrown into the role 3 weeks after landing a position as a staff pharmacist...

Which led to my meeting Professional Job 2 which will start next week. While I have felt appreciated, I do understand now why community pharmacists can burn out so quickly--faced with never-ending tasks that never get done, dealing with out-of-control patients, dealing with constantly broken-down or sometimes even lack of utter resources, it made me wonder very quickly what it all led to.

And it led to a call from Professional Job 2--the appeal of many things that can't be matched with Job 1 (no weekends! bankers hours! professional freedom! higher pay!). I feel like I can finally do what I was trained to do, care for patients' needs, instead of constantly staring down an abyss of unfilled, untyped, unverified prescriptions, unreasonable expectations from someone who doesn't understand the unique challenges of where I work, and sometimes just plain utter exhaustion from having to juggle so many things all at once.

I know that I've been prepared very well to begin Professional Job 2, and I'm willing to see where this leads. It also helps that the boss is a very good looking otter-type straight boy, but that's another post.

Thanks for preparing me for this craziness, PJ1. I have a better understanding of what my career is and where I want it to lead. It is incredibly frightening at the same time because I am being thrust into this role so quickly after school--the difference between when similar circumstances happened to me 10 years ago to who I am now, I am much better prepared to take on a relative position of authority, an opportunity that was denied and forgotten (thankfully) years ago.

I do hope Mr. PJ2 that this will really be a good growing opportunity for me. And it also does really help that while this new boss is really easy on the eyes, I do have someone wanting me, even if he is very, very far away at the moment....

No comments: